Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sunrise back North

Ok, too much to think about so i'm just going to ramble.
First, I must say what a pleasure it's been traveling with Dennis and Kris. Kris's Spanish has made thinks much simpler on many occasions, it's almost impossible to find anyone who can speak English here. Without Kris we would have know idea what to order for dinner! Dennis's easy going demeanor makes him the perfect travel companion.
So we've seen the sewing center, got the women excited about getting to work, now they have to find a product and a way to market it to be able to make this sustainable. (we might need to spend a little money here).
Spoken to at least half a dozen different group that are working on projects here in Nicaragua, plenty to be done.
The amount of garbage laying around is amazing, plastic bags and bottles everywhere, the photo above looks quite serene, what you don't see is the "Poison- Keep Out" signs all along the beaches of Lake Nicaragua. It's a sewer!
Dennis mentioned it might be a idea to travel back here next year with a crew to do a face lift on the school at Congrajo. Some paint, shutters for the windows, finish the outhouse, probably 3 hard days for a Northern Crew! Best in January before school starts on February 2.
Also the chance to find a project that we could partner with the Managua - Tiscapa Club or maybe we help with the Santa Rosa club's dental and Eye project!
OK time for a Cafe! Before this trip the only Spanish I knew was Cerveza!
George

George is right, it has been a real pleasure travelling with Dennis and Kris. Early in the trip someone thought that Kris and I were mother and son, we both decided that this was because we were white and had glasses, but I would be his travel mom any time. Dennis was photographer extraodinare and got some amazing pictures. Between all of us we took over 600 photos,most of them Dennis'. If you get the opportunity I strongly suggest you take the time to see them all. I'm sure you will find it worthwhile and I think they will give you a feel for the country. You might be thinking "oh no, vacation photos" but trust me, these aren't your typical vacation photos. We're waiting for it to be time to go to the airport and I have mixed emotions. The poverty here is overwhelming but the people are so open and friendly. There is definitely Spanish lessons in my future although I did add to my small vocabulary while we were here. I think I like waking up to chickens and dogs rather than trucks and cars. I didn't miss the city sounds. Didn't know where to begin and don't know where to end so I'll leave it at that.
Lisa
Yes it is hard to believe 2 weeks have gone by....... most definitely a trip of a lifetime. George, Lisa and Kris have made this experience very enjoyable. We have all developed a great camaraderie and certainly travel at the same speed. Well maybe George gets a head start in the morning and Kris turns out the lights but definitely fun times. I was pretty confident travelling with George and Lisa after numerous hockey and volley ball trips over many years. A special thanks to Kris, tough assignment looking after a gringo Dad but he made this trip special for me.
As George said there are our numerous opportunities for us to continue helping these warm and wonderful people. They truly want better lives but have difficulty meeting their day to day existence needs let alone getting ahead. It seems like the majority of visitors here are coming with an NGO to try and provide assistance. It all makes a difference but such a mountain to climb.
I am very anxious to return home now, sitting in Managua airport waiting ( USA could learn some lessons here about security and politeness) and reflecting.
Gee I like this retirement stuff!!!!
Cheers to all, see you Friday morning
Dennis

No comments:

Post a Comment