Friday, February 12, 2010

Home again

As our friend Eric says "we have definitely won the lottery of life by being born in Canada!"
Going away is exciting but coming home is always a good thing. U.S. customs is ridiculous. These trips always make me really appreciate the things that we tend to take for granted. Like turning on the tap and water actually comes out! or for that matter having a tap to turn on. I can't begin to describe the poverty. We knew that there was a lot of it in Nicaragua but you have no idea until you actually see it first hand and we didn't see the worst of it because we didn't go to the dump in Managua and see the children and families living there. I don't know if I could have handled that. I think you need to build up to it so that you don't have nightmares about those people. Maybe on the next trip we'll go there. There are NGO's who work exclusively at the dump. There is so much need but you can't help them all. We have to concentrate on Cangrejo and the people there for now so that we don't get spread to thin. That's the sad part. The good part is the people are so warm and friendly and the country is beautiful. I would like to go during or just after the wet because I think it would be breathtaking when everything was green and blooming. Going back is definitely on the to do list.
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment